We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Why is my cat aggressive all of a sudden
How do i train a cat?
How do i train a cat to let me pet it?
Is it too late to train my cat?
I have 2 cats and one of them is very agressive towards me and the other one is extremely sweet. The aggressive one has been getting worse and worse since i brought him home. I just adopted him and i dont know what to do.
The only thing that seems to calm him down is to sit and pet him. How do i train him to let me pet him?
I want to train them not to be agressive towards other pets, not to be agressive towards humans, how?
I have three cats. The first one was trained in my childhood. She never got very agressive with me, but when my ex-boyfriend came to live with us, she used to jump on him and bite his hands and legs. She didn't like me and my boyfriend so it made sense. I got rid of her two years ago. The second one got agressive with my boyfriend but she wasn't agressive with me until he left. Now that he is gone she has become very agressive and even gets aggressive with my daughter. The third one is sweet as can be, he likes to be petted and he is usually well behaved, but one day I found him jumping up on my boyfriend and then I couldn't catch him. He was afraid that my boyfriend would leave him behind and he got so scared he couldn't let go. After that incident, he never lets me pet him, he does not tolerate anyone touching him and he does not want to be near anyone. He even gets aggressive with my daughter, who used to be his best friend, and I have no idea how to fix this, and it makes me so sad. I am really worried about him. I don't want to get rid of him, I want to find a way to fix this. I have read a book about training cats, but it doesn't seem to be enough.
I was thinking that maybe he would be more likely to let me pet him if I was the only one who did it and my boyfriend, if he came into the room and he got aggressive then he would not let anyone else touch him. I know he hates being picked up and that's what my boyfriend does to him. He usually lets the girls pet him, but he hates being picked up. Could this be why he gets so agressive towards my boyfriend? I just don't know what to do, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for your help.
I can give you some tips on cat training. There are a lot of great books out there on the subject and you can probably find one on the topic you are looking for.
Here are a few things that can help.
1) First, you need to figure out why the cat is so agressive. Is it a result of some sort of trauma or was it just a natural state? If he is naturally agressive and the aggression is something that you are picking up, then you will need to work to desensitize him.
2) When you first brought him home, he probably was very afraid of you and didn't want anything to do with you. After about a week, slowly start giving him treats and petting him. As he gets comfortable with you, you can start to work on teaching him to trust you.
3) It is a very good idea to have a calm person work with you and the cat when you are first teaching him how to trust you. This will be much easier to accomplish if you have someone with you who will be patient and understanding.
4) When you are working on desensitizing him, be aware that he will be a bit confused when you touch him for the first time. He will want to attack you and will not trust you until he sees you touch him without trying to hurt you. You will need to understand that this is not a time for fighting. You want to stay calm and keep a steady pace. It takes a few days for him to get comfortable with you. This is when he will get into trouble.
5) Be sure you use only one finger and only pat on the top of his back. Do not try to pet on his head or use your hand to pinch the skin under his ears.
6) Your cat will not want to be touched when he first learns to trust you, but you will have to teach him what it feels like to be trusted. He needs to feel secure and safe with you before he will allow you to pet him.
I hope this helps. Please post back if you have any more questions.
Thanks for the response. I have one question about step 1. If I'm being honest I don't really know what happened to his mom but I found him outside and he was shaking, trembling, and whimpering and I think he was very scared. I brought him home and tried to figure out what to do with him. He seemed to calm down a little but I think he was just scared. I put him in a crate and went to sleep, when I woke up the next day he was fine and I left him alone. I figured if he was scared he would probably cry so that is what happened. I don't know what his previous situation was before