You probably think of raisins -- and grapes, for that matter -- as being healthy, yummy, innocuous snacks. While that might be accurate for most people, it couldn't be further from the truth in the canine world. Raisins can have seriously detrimental effects on your pooch's health, often life-threatening. Keep your dog far, far away from raisins at all times.
Dogs who eat raisins can get sick, often to the point of passing away. Raisins can greatly interfere with the functioning of the kidneys, triggering their failure. Immediate and intense management of these symptoms doesn't always help, either. Although the reason behind these effects isn't certain, one thing is -- feeding dogs raisins is extremely dangerous. Never feed your pet raisins, and never allow him access to them, period.
Dogs who experience kidney failure after consuming raisins generally show indications of it within roughly 6 to 12 hours. Some symptoms to look out for are diarrhea, appetite loss, unpleasant breath, dehydration, exhaustion, unusual urination patterns, trembling and silence. They also frequently appear to be suffering from stomach pains -- think lots of crying and adopting conspicuous, hunched-over body postures. If you glance at their stool or vomit, you might even see remnants of grapes, as well. Canines frequently pass away from renal failure in three to four days or so. If they don't die, they often instead experience extended kidney disease.
Hazardous Even in Tiny Amounts
Don't assume that a dog has to eat a large amount of raisins to begin experiencing any disagreeable or hazardous effects. Dogs who ate a mere seven raisins -- and possibly even less than that -- are known to have experienced problems, whether watery stools, throwing up or anything else. Be extremely cautious regarding raisins in any and all amounts.
Emergency Veterinary Care
Urgent veterinary care is crucial for any dog who swallowed raisins, even if he just ate one. If you have even an inkling that your pet might have taken in any raisins, get emergency veterinary assistance, pronto. Veterinarians often prompt dogs to throw up in order to extract raisins from the body. They also frequently employ activated charcoal to obstruct the effects of toxins, and to stop havoc of the kidneys. Nausea management medications are commonly given to canines in these situations. Fluid therapy, too, is often used to cleanse dogs of toxins. Veterinarians also closely supervise the processes of the dogs' kidneys.