Ficus plants can be very toxic to your dog, depending on how much he eats. These plants typically cause gastrointestinal or skin problems.
Ficus plants have two toxic compounds. Ficusin is a psoralen. Psoralens are compounds from plants that are activated by light. Ficin is a proteolytic enzyme, which means it can break down proteins. According to The Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, ficin’s toxicity depends on how much is consumed, and it does not appear to be absorbed when the intestinal tract is intact.
Signs of Toxicity
Common signs of ingestion of ficus plants are vomiting and salivation. If your dog consumes a lot, his stomach and intestines may become heavily ulcerated or eroded. He may have diarrhea or just not be interested in eating, due to his stomach ulceration. If the ficus sap comes in contact with his skin, your dog’s skin may become reddened or inflamed. It can cause serious dermal irritation if it gets into a cut or abrasion on your dog’s skin or into his eyes. If you think your dog has gotten into your ficus plants, contact your veterinarian immediately.